an attempt at documentation of my ongoing struggles with solaris and opensolaris on x86. I believe strongly in the (public) documentation of trials, struggles and failures, even more so than in the documentation of success: With a long standing commitment to solaris, looking for answers and just finding "I tried it on distibution 'X' and it worked for me" is not very informative.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

getting thing gnome for opensolaris

I've had my mind set on a task manager for gnome for sometime already. GTG seems like a nice quick and dirty tool which doesn't get in the way of actually getting things done. Getting it to actually work was another. Turns out this is rediculously simple:

Apart from python 2.6 there's just 1 single dependency: configObj.

To install: download (I chose the zip file).

unzip, modify the setup.py to have as a first line:
#!/usr/bin/env python

then
$ pfexec ./setup.py install

done.

For gtg: download
gzcat gtg* |tar xvf -
cd gtg...

$ pfexec ./setup.py install

All done.

Installs into /usr/bin

so
$ gtg

and on your way!

No comments: